Linguine Fine with Alici, Garlic, Lemon and Bread Crumbs
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, seeded and thinly sliced, skin and all
- 2 pounds fresh anchovies, gutted and filleted (may substitute other small fish, such as whitebait, Sardines or small lake fish)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound linguine fine
- 1 bunch arugula (wild, if possible), chopped to yield 1 cup
- 1/2 cup freshly toasted bread crumbs
Bring 6 quarts of water to boil and add 2 tablespoons of salt.
In a 12 inch to 14 inch saute pan, heat oil over medium heat until smoking and add garlic and lemon slices. Cook until softened and light golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add fish filets and hot pepper and cook until falling apart, about 6 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package instructions and drain. Toss hot pasta into pan with anchovies and add liquid with pasta water. Add arugula and toss through. Pour into warm serving dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali