Marinated Raw Tenderloin with Apples: Carne Sala con Insalata di Mele
- 6 ounces beef tenderloin, sliced paper-thin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 green apple, peeled and cored
- 1 small head radicchio, from Treviso
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably from Lago di Garda, plus 1/4 cup
Lay the beef slices out in a shallow casserole. In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon, pepper, caraway seeds, vinegar, and salt and pour over meat. Cut apple into 1/8-inch julienne and place in dressing bowl. Pull leaves off radicchio and toss with extra-virgin olive oil and season lightly with salt. To serve, place 3 slices of beef on each plate and cover the slices with handfuls of salad. Drizzle the salad with more oil and serve.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine