Marinated Raw Tenderloin with Apples: Carne Sala con Insalata di Mele
- 6 ounces beef tenderloin, sliced paper-thin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 green apple, peeled and cored
- 1 small head radicchio, from Treviso
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably from Lago di Garda, plus 1/4 cup
Lay the beef slices out in a shallow casserole. In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon, pepper, caraway seeds, vinegar, and salt and pour over meat. Cut apple into 1/8-inch julienne and place in dressing bowl. Pull leaves off radicchio and toss with extra-virgin olive oil and season lightly with salt. To serve, place 3 slices of beef on each plate and cover the slices with handfuls of salad. Drizzle the salad with more oil and serve.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.