Meatballs in Green Sauce (Granatine con Salsa Verde)
- 5 slices day-old bread
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound fresh sausage, out of its skin
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pecorino
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, for frying, plus 1/2 cup
- 6 anchovies, filleted and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 1 bunch mint, leaves only
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
Soak the bread in water for 5 minutes, remove from the water and press out the liquid by hand. Place the soaked bread in a large bowl, add the beef and the sausage and mix by hand to combine. Add the garlic, basil, eggs and pecorino and mix well to combine. Make golf ball-sized balls out of the meat mixture and set aside.
In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1 cup oil until smoking. Cook the meatballs in the oil until golden brown and cooked through, working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan. Remove the meatballs to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm.
In the work bowl of a food processor, puree the remaining 1/2 cup oil, anchovies, capers, parsley, mint and white vinegar. Pour half of the sauce over the warm meatballs, and serve the other half on the side.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.