- 1 calf tongue, boiled 40 minutes and peeled
- 1 1/2 pounds beef brisket
- 2 beef cheeks
- 3 quarts brodo, recipe follows
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (1-pound) blood sausage
- 1 (1-pound) cotecchino
- 1 capon, quartered
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, leaves picked from the stems
- 2 salt-packed anchovies, headed, gutted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 hard-boiled egg, roughly chopped
- 4 cornichons
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Friggone, recipe follows
Place the tongue, beef brisket, and beef cheeks in a large soup pot, cover with cold brodo, add the vinegar, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a high simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Add the sausages and the capon and bring to a boil, lower the heat to a high simmer, and cook covered for 30 minutes, replenishing with water as necessary to keep all meat covered.
To make the salsa verde, place the parsley, anchovies, capers, hard-boiled egg, cornichons, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper in the food processor and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
Remove the meat from the broth and serve some of the broth, the salsa verde, and friggone.
- 1 pound beef scraps
- 1 pound beef or veal bones
- 1 pound beef tongue, cut into 4 or 5 pieces
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) stewing hen, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 10 to 12 quarts cold water
- Salt and pepper
Place the beef, bones, tongue, chicken pieces, onion, carrot, and celery in a large soup pot, cover with the water and bring almost to a boil, very slowly. Reduce the heat to simmer before the mixture boils, and allow to cook for 4 hours, skimming off the foam and any excess fat that rises to the surface. After 4 hours, remove from heat, strain the liquid twice, first through a conical sieve and second through cheesecloth, and allow to cool. Refrigerate stock in small containers for up to a week or freeze for up to a month.