- 2 quarts extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1/2 pound calamari, cleaned
- 2 lemons, sliced 1/8-inch thick, plus 2, cut into wedges
- 1/2 pound tiny smelts, cleaned
- 1/2 pound fresh anchovies, cleaned
- 1/2 pound small scallops, shucked and cleaned
- 2 cups cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a deep pan with a fryer basket, heat the oil to 375 degrees F, until just smoking. In a wide, shallow bowl, combine half the calamari, half the lemon slices, half the smelts, half the anchovies and half the scallops. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup cornstarch and toss quickly with hands to coat.
Toss the coated foods into a large strainer with a handle and bat it against your hand to remove excess cornstarch. Cook the seafood and lemons in the hot oil until golden brown and crispy, about 1 minute. Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Season the fried foods with salt and pepper and immediately repeat the coating and frying process with the remaining seafood, lemons and cornstarch. Season the second batch and serve all with lemon wedges.