- 3 (1-pound) mullets, cleaned and scaled, or substitute snapper
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into julienne
- 2 cardoon stalks, cleaned, peeled and cut into julienne
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into julienne
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into julienne
- 6 leaves Swiss chard, trimmed and cut into ribbons
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into julienne
- 6 branches oregano
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup black olive paste
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Season each fish with salt and pepper, inside and out. Place 1 fish in the center of each of 3 large sheets of parchment paper. Top each fish with a handful of squash, cardoons, parsnips, turnips, Swiss chard, and carrots, 1 branch oregano, some of the parsley, some of the wine, a dollop of olive paste and a generous drizzle of the olive oil. Fold up each packet and seal the edges by folding them over several times.
Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, and serve hot, taking care of the steam that will blast from the hot packet.