Mussels and Breadcrumbs: Peoli al Pangrattato
- 2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 o basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 20 mint leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a large pot with a lid, place the mussels and enough water to come 1/4 of the way up the sides. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until the mussels steam open, about 8 minutes. Discard any that don?t open. Retain the cooking liquid. Once they are cool enough to handle, remove the top shell from each bivalve and discard. Set the mussel-bearing shells on a sheet pan.
In a small bowl, combine the garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, basil, mint, ginger and salt and pepper and mix well. Stir in a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Place a small amount of the liquid atop each mussel, drizzle with olive oil and cook in the oven for two minutes to brown the bread crumbs.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.