- 2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2o basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 20 mint leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a large pot with a lid, place the mussels and enough water to come 1/4 of the way up the sides. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until the mussels steam open, about 8 minutes. Discard any that don?t open. Retain the cooking liquid. Once they are cool enough to handle, remove the top shell from each bivalve and discard. Set the mussel-bearing shells on a sheet pan.
In a small bowl, combine the garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, basil, mint, ginger and salt and pepper and mix well. Stir in a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Place a small amount of the liquid atop each mussel, drizzle with olive oil and cook in the oven for two minutes to brown the bread crumbs.