Neapolitan Toasts: Crostini Napoletani
- 16 slices crusty bread, baguette size, or 8 slices country loaf size
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 16 anchovy fillets, fresh marinated or salt packed, spines removed and fillets rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat the broiler.
Place the sliced bread on a cookie sheet, toast to light golden brown on both sides, and remove. While still hot, rub each slice with a garlic clove.
In a small bowl, mix the ricotta and black pepper, and spread some of the mixture over each slice of bread. Top each with an anchovy fillet and replace onto the cookie sheet. Place under broiler until the cheese just oozes, about 1 minute, remove, place onto a serving platter, drizzle with the oil and serve.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.