- 3 pounds clean calamari
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 4 tablespoons
- 10 cloves whole garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon crushed hot chilies
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups basic tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 2 bunches ramps, clean and whole
- 1 bunch marjoram, leaves only
- 4 thick slices country bread
Check calamari for any cartilage and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place calamari in a 6-quart saucepan and add olive oil, garlic cloves, chilies, wine and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a high simmer and cook 1 hour.
Meanwhile, place ramps on grill until wilted, about 1 minute. Remove and allow to cool. Chop cooled ramps into 1/2-inch pieces, place in a mixing bowl with remaining oil and marjoram leaves and stir to blend.
When calamari is tender, season with salt and pepper. Place bread on grill and toast. Remove and spoon ramp mixture over bread, divide calamari among four bowls, top with a bruschetta and serve.