- 5 pounds crayfish, boiled, cooled and tails removed
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded and julienned
- 1 pound very ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 pound fresh pappardelle
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon basil leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pick through crayfish tails and remove any extra shell bits.
Bring 6 quarts water to boil in a large spaghetti pot and add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a 12- to 14-inch saute pan, heat oil until smoking. Add garlic and jalapenos and cook until garlic is light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, remove stems from tomatoes and chop into 3/4-inch cubes. Add tomatoes to pan with garlic and chilis and cook until soft and beginning to get saucy. Lower heat to simmer and allow to cook while pasta cooks. Drop papparadelle into boiling water and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain pasta in colander and toss crayfish tails into tomato pan. Pour pappardelle over and toss to coat well while over simmering heat. Add lemon basil and lemon zest, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.