Peas with Ham: Piselli al Prosciutto
- 1/2 cup strong beef stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, visible white fat removed and reserved, lean red section cut into strips
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 pound fresh young peas, shelled
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 (1/4-inch) thick slices bread
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the butter and the pork fat over high heat until the butter foams and subsides. Add the onion and saute over high heat 3 minutes. Add the stock, peas, sugar, salt and pepper and saute 5 minutes.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.