Pollo alla Diavola (the Devil's Chicken Went Down to Georgia)
- 2 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) chickens, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 bunches Italian parsley, leaves only
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Chili oil, recipe follows
- HOT CHILI OIL:
- OLIO PICCANTE
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons red chili flakes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Truss the chickens and brush each one with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place in 1 or 2 roasting pans and roast until browned but only half-cooked, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the 4 tablespoons black pepper, a pinch of salt and the mustard and stir well to combine. Drizzle in the 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix well.
Once the chickens are half-cooked, remove from the oven and brush each with the black pepper and mustard mixture. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the juices run clear from a pricked spot, about another 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before carving. While the chicken rests, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the parsley, red onion, tomatoes, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, sherry vinegar and salt and pepper, to taste, and toss well to combine.
Allow 1 breast and 1 leg per portion. Drizzle each portion with the pan juices and hot chili oil, top with the parsley salad and serve immediately.HOT CHILI OIL:
In a small saucepan, combine the oil, pepper and chili flakes. Heat to 140 degrees F and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit overnight or for 8 hours. Strain out solids. Yield: 2 cups
More Recipes and Ideas:
Chicken as the Farmer's Wife Would Make: Pollo alla Contadina, Stuffed Chicken, No Bones About It: Braciola di Pollo, Chicken from the Town of Avellino (Pollo Avellino), Baked Ham Recipes, Leg of Lamb Recipes, Alfredo, Antipasti Recipes, Pork Tenderloin Recipes, Fried Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.