Pollo alla Romana (Roman-Style Chicken)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup Frascati or other dry white wine
- 1 (16-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes and their juices
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- Salt and pepper
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook slowly to render out much of the fat. Remove all but 4 tablespoons of the fat-oil mixture from the pan and add the garlic and chicken, cooking until chicken begins to change color and garlic browns. Add the wine and cook 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and peppers, season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.