Pork Sausage of Lucania: Salsicce di Lucania
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed, and sliced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled, crushed, and finely chopped
- 3 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, ground
- 8 ounces fresh pork fat, ground
- 1/2 cup good red wine
- 1/4 cup grappa
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 bunch kale or collards, tough stalks removed and leaves cut into 1 1/2-inch slices
In a large bowl, combine the garlic, ginger, pancetta, pork, fat, wine, grappa, pepper flakes, and salt and mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for several hours.
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet.
Form ovals out of the mixture measuring 3 by 2-inches and quickly saute the sausages until dark golden brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan.
Add onions to the pan and then the collards, tossing until fully wilted.
Recipe copyright Mario Batali, 2002. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine