- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes, cooked through and cooled
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup cooked ham, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a 6-inch-deep saucepan, heat 4 to 6 inches of oil to 375 degrees F.
Starting with a ball of potato mixture the size of an egg, form your croquettes using your hands (it helps to cover your hands with some of the flour to avoid a lot of sticking). They should look like fat cylinders. Dredge the croquette in flour, then the egg mixture, and finally, the breadcrumbs. Continue until all potato mixture is finished.
Carefully place 5 croquettes in the hot oil and fry until a deep golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Continue until all croquettes are fried. Serve immediately.