Ricotta Pudding: Budino di Ricotta
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Pinch plus 1-tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 pound fresh ricotta
- 2 eggs, whole, plus 3 eggs, separated, whites beaten to stiff peaks
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 orange zest, candied and finely chopped, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons high-quality brandy
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- Candied Citrus Zest:
- 8 cups sugar
- 5 cups water
- Zest of 4 oranges or 3 grapefruits or 8 lemons, cut into strips
- Superfine sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar with a pinch of cinnamon and set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ricotta with the remaining cinnamon and add the 2 eggs, 3 yolks, flour, sugar, candied orange zest, brandy and lemon zest. Mix well to combine. Fold in the egg whites.
Turn the mixture into the pudding mold, filling it to 2/3 capacity, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to rest in the oven 6 minutes. Remove from the oven, turn out onto a serving dish and serve immediately, dusted with the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon mixture.Candied Citrus Zest:
In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil, making sure all sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. In a large saucepan, combine the zest and enough cold water to cover and bring to a boil. Remove the zest, rinse with cold water and repeat the process 2 more times. Place the blanched zest in a saucepan and pour the syrup over the zest, adding an extra inch to cover the zest. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the zest is translucent and tender. Remove from heat and cool. Drain the syrup and lay the zest out on a cooling rack. Toss in sugar and store in an airtight container.