Risotto al Zucca:Squash Risotto
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small acorn or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced 1/4 inch
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock, hot
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for sprinkling
In a 12 to 14-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and squash cooking until the onions have softened and are translucent but not browned 8 to 10 minutes. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until toasted and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the wine to the toasting rice, and then add a 4 to 6-ounce ladle of stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed. Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Cook until the rice is tender and creamy and yet still a little al dente, about 15 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheese until well mixed. Portion risotto into 4 warmed serving plates, serving with extra cheese.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.