- 1 recipe black pepper pasta
- 2 pounds fresh Italian sausage, crumbled, cooked and drained
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 1 bunch fresh Swiss chard, boiled, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus 1/2 cup
- 1/2 recipe balsamella sauce
- SALSA BALSAMELLA (BECHAMEL)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup allpurpose flour
- 4 cups hot milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Melt butter in a 2quart saucepan until frothing. Remove from heat and stir in flour with a whisk. Cook over low heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 of the hot milk and whisk until smooth. Add remaining milk and whisk until smooth. Bring to boil, add nutmeg, lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Can be used hot or cold.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Bring 6 quarts water to boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Make the pasta and roll out to the third thinnest mark on the pasta roller. Cut the sheets into pieces 10 inches long. Cover and set aside. In a mixing bowl, stir together cooked sausage, ricotta, cooked chard, nutmeg and Parmigiano until well blended. Blanch pasta sheets 1 minute
and refresh in an ice bath. Drain well and lay on clean counter.
Divide filling among pasta pieces, completely covering each sheet with 1/2inch to 1inch of filling. Roll each pasta piece up like a jelly roll and place in a buttered baking dish. Cover with balsamella sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 45 minutes until light brown on top and bubbly everywhere. Remove, let stand 10 minutes. To serve, slice across each roll to form rounds and place flat on plate.