Roasted Partridge with Peverada
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) partridge
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 link Italian Luganica sausage, skinned and crumbled
- 4 sage leaves
- 1/4 pound chicken livers, plus liver and giblets from the partridge
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chile flakes
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/2 cup
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Rinse the partridge and pat dry. Remove liver and giblets and set aside. Place sprig of thyme and 1/2 lemon in cavity of bird, rub bird with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season inside and out with salt and pepper and place on roasting rack in roasting pan in oven. Cook for 50 minutes or until juices run clear when a knife is inserted at the thigh joint.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a 12 to 14-inch saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and sausage and cook until soft but not brown. Add 2 tablespoons water, if it starts to brown. Add the sage, giblets, liver, and chicken liver and continue cooking slowly for 8 to 10 minutes or until everything is soft and gray. Add the orange zest and juice, cinnamon, sugar, vinegar, chile flakes, and black pepper and simmer 5 more minutes, mashing with a potato masher to form a fine paste. Remove the guinea hen when cooked, let rest 5 minutes, carve and bring to table. Place peverada in a bowl and serve on the side. Garnish with parsley.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.