- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs with black pepper
- 4 1/2 inch thick slices of fresh mozzarella (about 1/2 pound)
- 4 very ripe tomatoes, chopped into 1 inch dice (about 1 pound)
- 2 bunches basil, leaves only
- 4 slices country bread, cut into 1 inch slices
Preheat grill or broiler.
In a 12 inch to 14 inch nonstick saute pan, heat oil over medium high heat until just smoking. Season crumbs with black pepper and dredge mozzarella slices, shaking to remove loose bits. Place mozzarella slices in pan and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute. Meanwhile, grill bread slices on both sides. This can be done just before the cheese is cooked. Remove each slice of cheese and place on top of a slice of toasted bread. Add tomatoes to pan and toss to heat, about 30 seconds. Add basil leaves, toss to wilt and season with salt and pepper. Spoon around bread and mozzarella and serve.