Shrimp in Crazy Water: Gamberoni al' Acqua Pazzo
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh hot chiles
- 1 pound fennel, cut into 1/2-inch dice, fronds reserved
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes with juices, crushed by hand
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup water plus 2 teaspoons salt
- 16 fresh shrimp, 26 to 30 per pound size, peeled and heads left intact
- Freshly ground pepper
In a 6-quart soup pot, heat the oil until smoking. Add the onion, garlic, chiles, and fennel and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until soft and light golden brown. Add the tomatoes, wine, and salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Pour into a soup tureen, garnish with fennel fronds, and serve with plenty of freshly ground pepper.
All recipes copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.