Skewers of Baby Lamb: Spiedini di Abbacchio
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (2-inch) thick slices Italian peasant bread, cubed
- 1/2 pound prosciutto, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 pounds lean baby lamb leg or shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 sage leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a skillet, heat the olive oil until almost smoking. Add the bread cubes and fry lightly on all sides. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Thread 4 wooden skewers with the bread cubes, prosciutto, lamb and sage leaves until all ingredients are used up. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and place on a broiling pan. Broil in the oven or grill 15 minutes or until all ingredients are crisp.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.