- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 tablespoon crushed hot red pepper
- 24 cockles or tiny clams, scrubbed or rinsed
- 24 Prince Edward Island mussels, scrubbed and rinsed
- 11/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
Bring 6 quarts water to boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a 12 inch to 14 inch saute pan, heat oil over medium high heat until just smoking. Add garlic, bell pepper and hot pepper and cook until soft, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add cockles and mussels and cook 1 minute, stirring regularly. Add white wine and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, drop pasta in boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Add butter to pan with mollusks and cook until clams and mussels are all open, about 3 minutes.
Drain pasta well and toss into pan with clams. Cook 30 seconds together, add parsley, toss well and serve in a warm serving bowl.