Spaghetti with Clams and Mussels: Spaghetti con Vongole e Cozze
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 pound Manila clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound small mussels, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, leaves finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, and add the garlic. Cook 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes. Raise the heat and cook until the tomatoes give off their juices, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the mollusks and white wine. Cook, stirring and tossing, until all of the mollusks have opened, about 10 minutes. Discard any that have not opened.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the boiling water until tender yet al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain and add to the pan with the sauce. Cook over high heat 2 minutes, adding the parsley and adjusting the seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
Recipe copyright Mario Batali, 2002. All Rights Reserved.