- 2 pounds mussels (smaller ones are better)
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 1/2 pound chicory, chopped into 1/4-inch ribbons
Scrub and debeard mussels.
In a 3 quart sauce pan, heat oil until smoking. Add onions and cook until soft but not brown. Add mussels and toss well. Add wine and lemon pieces and cover. Cook 1 minute, remove lid and add chicory. Replace lid and cook 1 more minute until all mussels are steamed open. Pour into warm bowls and serve with lemon wedges and hot and spicy oil.
Yield: 4 servings