Stuffed Escarole (Scarola Ripiena)
- 1 head escarole, about 1 pound, root ends trimmed and cut in half, ugly leaves removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins, moistened in red wine and chopped
- 3 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- Black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
In a medium bowl, place the garlic, pine nuts, raisins, Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley and salt and mix well to combine. Place the stuffing in the cavity of 1 escarole half. Place the other half on top of the stuffed half and tie them together tightly with butcher's twine. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, warm the olive oil and place the escarole in the skillet, adding water to come halfway up its sides. Cover, bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. Turn the escarole gently with tongs and cook another 10 minutes, until the water has evaporated and the escarole is soft. Uncover and cook for another 5 minutes, to brown the escarole. Cut the string, slice into 4 portions and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.