Tarongia with Fennel, Fresh Anchovies and Caciocavallo
- 1 recipe basic bread dough
- Olive oil for frying
- 16 fresh marinated anchovies (see basic recipe)
- 1 bulb fennel, fronds removed and saved, bulb trimmed and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 cup freshly grated Caciocavallo cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
Heat 3 inches olive oil in deep frying pan to 375 degrees.
Roll dough into 4 10-inch circles and fry, one at a time, until golden brown, about 6 to 7 minutes, to create the tarongia. Drain each tarongia on paper towels and set aside.
In a medium saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil until just smoking and add sliced fennel bulb. Cook until soft and golden brown, stirring regularly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fennel and allow to cool. Mix in fennel fronds and set aside.
Spread 1/4 fennel mixture on top of each tarongia and sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons Caciocavallo. Place 4 anchovies on each tarongia and sprinkle with remaining Caciocavallo. Broil each tarongia until light golden brown and serve warm.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali