- 3 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red chile pepper, cut in half
- 8 (1-inch) slices day-old Italian peasant bread, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Grated Parmesan, for garnish
Bring 8 quarts water to a rolling boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Add the broccoli and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain, reserve the cooking liquid and set aside.
While the garlic and pepper cook, cut the drained broccoli into small florets, about 1/2-inch each. Add the bread to the pan with a few ladles of reserved broccoli water. Then add the broccoli, season with salt and simmer 4 to 5 minutes. Garnish with extra-virgin olive oil and grated Parmesan. Serve very hot.