Trout Piemontese Style
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 medium trout, total about 2 pounds, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup Barbera or Dolcetto, dry red wine from Piedmont
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 bunches Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
In a 12 inch to 14 inch nonstick saute pan, heat oil until smoking. Place 2 fish in pan and saute until golden brown on first side, about 8 to 9 minutes. Turn and cook other side in the same manner. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 fish. Place fish on a serving platter in a warm oven.
In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons more oil, add celery, onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add rosemary, vinegar and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce by half, swirl in butter and stir to emulsify. Remove fish from oven. Add parsley to sauce and pour over fish. Serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray