- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup canned tomatoes, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 bunch parsley, leaves chopped
- Fresh bread crumbs made from 1 slice white bread, crusts removed and torn into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Pinch chili flakes
- 1 pound fresh tuna, large dice
- 12 (3/4-inch) slices Italian peasant bread, toasted
In a 12-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over high heat until hot, but not smoking. Add the tuna and cook until white and just cooked, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and tomatoes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add parsley.
Meanwhile, soak the bread crumbs in the milk.
Remove the garlic from the saute pan, and discard. Add the soaked bread to the pan. Season the mixture again with salt and pepper. Use a fork to gently mash the mixture.
Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with chili flakes. Place the mixture into a mixing bowl. Either spoon on the toasted breads and serve, or serve the mixture in the bowl, surrounded by the bread.