Tusca Crostini: Crostini Toscane
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon salt packed capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste, or 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 pound chicken livers
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, Chianti
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch chili flakes
- 1/4 bunch parsley leaves, chopped
- 8 (1-inch thick) slices Italian peasant bread
In a 12-inch skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat until just smoking. Add the onion, capers, and anchovy paste, and cook until the mixture is golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken livers and stir until lightly browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and balsamic vinegar. Bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
Using a potato masher, mash the mixture so that it is lumpy. Stir in the chili flakes and parsley.
Toast the bread until golden brown and place on serving plates. Spread equal amounts of the liver mixture over 1 side of each piece of bread and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse