Uova in Brodetto: Eggs in Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 sprig parsley, left whole, plus 1 sprig, finely chopped
- 6 mint leaves plus 12 more, for garnish
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 (16-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes and their juice, crushed by hand
- 3 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, 1 sprig parsley, mint, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and allow it to evaporate completely.
Add the tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes. Remove the garlic and parsley and discard.
Add the remaining parsley and the basil to the sauce and stir in. Gently break the eggs into the sauce, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve hot with grilled bread and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray