Veal Involtini: Involtini all Siciliana
- 8 slices veal, top round, about 4 ounces each
- 1 cup grated Pecorino
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 bunches flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, to yield 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup currants, soaked 1 hour in warm water and drained
- 8 (3-inch) rosemary sprigs, soaked in water 1 hour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, plus crushed black pepper for garnish
- 2 ounces olive oil
- Lemon wedges
- Herb Salad, recipe follows
Preheat barbecue or grill.
Using a kitchen mallet or wide cleaver, pound each slice of veal between 2 oiled pieces of waxed paper until thin yet not torn, about 1/16-inch thick. Lay each piece out on a cool working surface. In a mixing bowl, stir together Pecorino, bread crumbs, parsley, pine nuts and plumped, drained currants until well blended. Season the veal slices with salt and pepper. Divide the Pecorino mixture among the 8 pieces of veal, spreading it out thinly. Roll the veal up tightly like a burrito and secure with toothpicks.
Lay 4 pair of veal rolls side by side a 1/2-inch apart and skewer them with 2 rosemary sprigs to yield 4 sets. Season with salt and pepper, and brush with olive oil. Grill until cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes per side, and serve immediately with lemon wedges. Serve with Herb Salad.Herb Salad:
Large basil leaves
1 lemon, halved
Salt and pepper
Combine basil and parsley in a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of the lemons over herbs and sprinkle with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy Mario Batali
Grilled Veal Chops with Herb Cheese, Wild Mushroom-Tomato Bordelaise and Prosciutto-wrapped Asparagus
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali