- 4 (4-ounce) veal cutlets, pounded out thin (about 1/4-inch)
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 4 leaves fresh sage
- Flour, for dredging
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Strega liqueur
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- Special equipment: toothpicks
Lay out the pounded veal cutlets and season each with salt and pepper. Lay out one piece of prosciutto on each cutlet. Then, lay a sage leaf on each cutlet. Fold each cutlet in half and secure with a toothpick. Season the outside of each cutlet with salt and pepper, and then dredge entirely with flour.
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until smoking. Add the cutlets to the pan and cook until golden brown. Turn each cutlet over and add the mushrooms. Continue cooking until the mushrooms are cooked through and slightly golden brown. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the Strega and cook until all liquid has reduced to 1/3. Season with salt and pepper, add the parsley, and serve immediately.