- 6 cups olive oil for frying
- 1/2 cup flour, unbleached
- 1/2 cup superfine semolina flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound cauliflower, in florets, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1/2 pound broccoli, in florets, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 6 medium Crimini mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 6 baby artichokes, outer leaves trimmed, quartered and soaking in acidulated water
- 2 lemons, cut into 1/8-inch thick rounds plus 2 lemons in wedges
- 12 zucchini flowers
- Kosher salt to sprinkle
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place large platter covered with towel in oven.
Heat oil to 370 F in a 6-inch tall frying pan with basket. Make batter by stirring together flour, semolina, baking powder and salt. Slowly add cold water, stirring until smooth batter is formed. Add oil and stir through.
To cook, dip vegetables in order of ingredients in as little batter as possible and fry until each is golden brown and crisp. Drain after frying on paper towels. When drained, arrange on platter. Move quickly -- each vegetable should take 3 to 4 minutes at most. When finished with zucchini blossoms, sprinkle whole platter with kosher salt and serve immediately with lemon wedges.