- 6 to 8 small zucchini to yield about 2 pounds, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 bulbs garlic, cloves separated but unpeeled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 4 tablespoons
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- Black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the zucchini on a baking sheet, cut side down. Arrange the garlic cloves around the zucchini, drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven 40 minutes, until zucchini are blackened in some spots and garlic is golden brown. Allow to cool and remove skins from garlic cloves. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the zucchini, garlic, Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon juice, zest and heavy cream and process until smooth. Add the basil, process for 15 seconds and remove to a chilled bowl. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
To serve, place a 3 tablespoon dollop in the center of each of 4 plates and sprinkle with young arugula. Drizzle with remaining oil and serve.