Zuppa di Lenticchie with Salame and Crostini
- 3 cups castelluccio lentils
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped into 1/8thinch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced plus 2 whole cloves
- 2 sage leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 pound Tuscan or Umbrian country bread
- 6 ounces best quality extra virgin olive oil
- Sliced salami
Wash and drain lentils and pick through for pebbles.
In a 3 quart saucepan, heat oil until smoking. Add onions, sliced garlic and sage. Cook until softened but not brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add lentils and chicken stock. Add water to 1 inch over lentils and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, keeping the level of the liquid just over the lentils by periodically adding water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into bowls and lay slices of salami in center. Grill bread and rub each slice with a garlic clove. Place the garlic bread over salami. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali