Mark's Awesome Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 10 -ounce box sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced provalone cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
Season chicken strips or tenders with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to taste. Grill on a grill or in a grill pan. Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute mushrooms. Season mushrooms with the same spices as the chicken. Finish mushrooms by deglazing the pan with the Marsala wine and allow to reduce until the wine has evaporated.
Meanwhile, take a loaf of Italian bread and invert it. Cut a "V" wedge out of the bottom of the loaf and set aside. Into the hollowed out portion of the loaf, sprinkle Parmesan cheese, layer thinly sliced provalone, chicken, Swiss cheese, mushrooms and sliced jarred roasted red peppers. Repeat the layering until it is even with the top of the bread. Put wedge back in loaf and roll tightly in aluminum foil -- shiny side in.
Bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Remove and let the loaf rest a few minutes. Serve by slicing portions on a diagonal.
Courtesy of Mark Brelish of Dalton, PA