- 6 ounces good olive oil, not extra-virgin
- 12 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 large or 2 medium Spanish onions, finely diced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans imported crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 large handful julienned fresh basil leaves
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add oil. Once heated add the finely sliced garlic and onions to the pan. Cook over medium heat until soft and slightly brown. Next add the canned crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper and stir. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the julienned basil.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Mike Maroni