Marylou's Stuffed Peppers
- 12 medium organic green bell peppers
- 1 large Spanish onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- One 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, pureed
- 3 pounds ground turkey (thighs and legs)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 ounces fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 bunch curly parsley, washed and finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Wash, cut and remove the tops, seeds and pith from the peppers. Place in a nonreactive baking pan with a lid (stainless steel, cast iron or enamel coated).
Saute the onions in the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until very soft and transparent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Allow to cool in the refrigerator.
Cover the pan and bake the peppers until the rice is completely tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Clarkston Union Executive Chef Scott Laufer and Marylou Waggoner (Scott's Mom), Clarkston Union
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali