Marylou's Stuffed Peppers
- 12 medium organic green bell peppers
- 1 large Spanish onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- One 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, pureed
- 3 pounds ground turkey (thighs and legs)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 ounces fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 bunch curly parsley, washed and finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Wash, cut and remove the tops, seeds and pith from the peppers. Place in a nonreactive baking pan with a lid (stainless steel, cast iron or enamel coated).
Saute the onions in the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until very soft and transparent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Allow to cool in the refrigerator.
Cover the pan and bake the peppers until the rice is completely tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.