Meat Filled Empanadas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large Spanish onions, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup canned, peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green cocktail olives (pimento filled), whole
- 1/4 cup black currants
- Empanada Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
Empanada Dough: Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Cut in shortening, mixture should be sandy. Add the egg and wine, pulse until dough comes together in a ball. The dough should be pliable; if not add more wine.
Assembly: Separate the dough into 3 balls. Roll the first ball out until it is 1/4 inch thick. With a 6-inch round cutter, cut circles out of all the dough. Remove the edges and save for the next roll. Fill each circle with about 2 1/2 tablespoons in the center of the dough.
Dip a small brush in room temperature water, run the brush around the edge of the dough. Close 1 side to the other forming a half moon shape. Close the edges pressing lightly with the back of a fork.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.