Meatballs in Winter Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 medium onions
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- About 1/2 cup olive oil, for browning meatballs
- 1 (28 to 32-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes including juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
Add onions and remaining meatball ingredients except olive oil o bread crumb mixture and with your hands blend together until just combined well (do not over mix).
Form mixture into walnut-size balls and arrange on large trays or baking sheets.
In a large heavy skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown meatballs in batches without crowding, shaking skillet to maintain round shape and adding remaining oil as necessary. Transfer meatballs as browned (and any browned onions that fall from meatballs) with a slotted spoon to a 7 to 8 quart heavy kettle.
To meatballs add chopped tomatoes with reserved juice, garlic, and oregano and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Transfer meatballs with a slotted spoon to a bowl and keep warm, loosely covered with foil. Briskly simmer sauce until
reduced to about 2 cups, about 25 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper
and gently stir in meatballs. (Meatballs in sauce may be made 3 days ahead
and cooled completely, uncovered, before being chilled, covered. Reheat
meatballs in sauce before serving.)
Gently stir parsley into meatballs and sauce.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Cauliflower-Stuffed Meatball Ragout in Spicy Tomato Sauce (Tunisian Mubattan Bruklu), Meatballs in Green Sauce (Granatine con Salsa Verde), Uova in Brodetto: Eggs in Tomato Sauce, Zabaglione Recipes, Ravioli Recipes, Antipasti Recipes, Chicken Piccata Recipes, Meatball Recipes, Spaghetti Recipes