Mediterranean Pasta with Lamb Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- Spice mix, divided, recipe follows
- 15 mini unsalted matzoh crackers, ground into crumbs
- 5 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup feta cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup fat free, low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- Spice mix:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
For meatballs: combine lamb, 2 teaspoons of the spice mix, the ground matzoh crackers, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 cup feta cheese. Mix until combined but do not overmix. Divide into 16 equal portions; shape into meatballs. Place meatballs on rack over cookie sheet so grease will drain from meatballs while cooking; bake 20 minutes.
For sauce: heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat and add shallots and remaining garlic. Cook until limp and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, remainder of spice mix, cinnamon, pepper, remainder of the salt, chicken stock, and parsley. Bring to boil; reduce to a simmer and cook until thick, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
To cooked sauce add sliced green onion, and meatballs stirring gently to coat. Serve meatballs with sauce over pasta and garnish with remaining feta cheese.Spice mix:
Recipe courtesy of Elaine Jones, Salt Lake City, UT