Medora Lamb Pops with Ouzu Lamb Jus
- 12 (8 bone-in) frenched New Zealand lamb racks, eye only
- 6 cups extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 6 cups lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 large yellow onions, medium diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 3 cups ouzo (may substitute sambuca)
- 1 gallon lamb stock plus 1 cup
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoons white pepper
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
Marinate the lamb racks in 6 tablespoons of the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, onions, garlic, salt and white pepper for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight, refrigerated.
To cook the lamb, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in heavy bottom saute pan until almost smoking. Carefully place the lamb in the saute pan and brown on all sides. Transfer to baking sheet and roast in a preheated 350 degrees F oven to an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. Allow to rest 5 minutes and carve.
Ouzu Scented Lamb Jus:
In heavy sauce pot over high heat, reduce ouzu to 1 cup. **Note this will flame! Once reduced, add the 1 gallon of lamb stock, soy sauce, sea salt and white pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and the remaining 1 cup lamb stock creating a "slurry". With a balloon whisk, add the slurry to the boiling stock. Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes and serve with lamb.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.