- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound firm-flesh white fish, such as cod, sliced into sticks about 1 inch by 3 inches
- 1/2 cup whole grain pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 slices whole grain bread (or sub 1 cup whole grain breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs (optional; if kids don't freak out)
- 1 large egg
- Olive oil, in a spray bottle or mister (or nonstick vegetable spray)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Salt and pepper the fish sticks. Place the flour on a rimmed plate and season with the garlic, mixing with a fork, and set aside.
Place the bread and herbs (if using) in a food processor and pulse until uniform, but not too small. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the breadcrumbs to a shallow baking dish or rimmed plate and set aside.
Whisk the egg and 1 tablespoon water in a medium bowl. Dredge a piece of fish in the flour, gently shake off excess, and then dip the fish in the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs, gently pressing into the crumbs. Repeat with the remaining pieces of fish.
Place a metal cooling rack on top of a baking sheet, and mist with olive oil. Place the fish sticks on the rack and bake until the fish is cooked through, about 12 minutes. (For even browning, you can turn the fish over halfway through cooking time and spray the second side with olive oil.)