- 2 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup wine
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 Confit lemon, chopped, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup gently crushed briny olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Couscous, for serving
- Lemon Confit:
- 3 organic lemons, skin scrubbed well
- Kosher salt
- 4 peppercorns
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Pat the chicken dry, and season well with salt and pepper.
Heat the butter and olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and brown the chicken on all sides. Add the onion, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and add the garlic and stir for a minute. Increase heat and deglaze with wine, stirring, and allowing it to bubble. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes, then remove the chicken and set aside.
To the sauce, add the lemon, olives, parsley, and cilantro and then return the chicken to the pot. Heat for 5 more minutes and serve over couscous.Lemon Confit:
Place the lemons, 2 to 3 tablespoons salt, peppercorns, and lemon juice in a quart jar and cover with water. Store chilled for 3 weeks.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.