- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 Anaheim chile, seeded, deveined
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 1/2 jalapeno chile, seeded, deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- Juice from 1/2 lime
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatillos, garlic, Anaheim chile, onions and jalapeno on a baking sheet. Toss the vegetables with the oil, salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables until the tomatillos turn a dark-green color and the onions golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Let the vegetables cool slightly. Peel the garlic and transfer all the ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the lime juice and sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
The tomatillo sauce can be made 1 day ahead, covered and chilled.