Melt-in-Your-Mouth Braised and Barbecued Chicken
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 regular-size bags quick-cooking rice, uncooked
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, green tops only
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and saute 6 minutes, turning once.
Combine fruit juices in a large bowl. Stir together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon juice mixture until smooth; set aside.
Stir soy sauce and next 6 ingredients into remaining juice mixture; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes, turning chicken after 20 minutes.
Prepare rice according to package directions. Keep warm.
Uncover chicken, and stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Spoon rice onto a serving platter; top with chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with green onions.
"The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network's kitchens. They have been tested in the Southern Living Test Kitchens. All brand names have been removed from these recipes, which originally appeared on southernlivingcookoff.com."