Mexican Macaroni Salad
- 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound penne pasta, dry
- 1 cup Panela cheese, julienned
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 pickling cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 2 Italian Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup capers, drained of their liquid
- 1/2 bunch oregano, leaves chopped
- 2 Serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded and minced
To cook the pasta, bring a large pot of water to a boil with salt and a little oil. Cook about 8 to 10 minutes or to al dente, drain well and spread on a sheet pan to cool. When almost dry lightly coat with olive oil. Then cover well till ready to toss salad.
To make the dressing, place the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a jar. Cover and shake to mix well.
Toss the pasta, Panela cheese, onion, cucumbers, tomatoes, capers, and oregano with the dressing until well coated. Chill.
c.1996, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved